Get ready for Post-Brexit Labelling

Legal requirements for labels and stickers are changing after the UK leaves the European Union, no matter whether the UK leaves with a free trade agreement or with 'no deal'.

Crown Labels are working hard to provide an overview of labelling changes after Brexit. Subscribe to our email updates for label news, Brexit labelling updates and more.

Key Labelling Changes after Brexit

EU Distributor Information

If your product is being distributed in the European Union, you need an EU Distribution address listed on the product, label or packaging. You also won't be able to use 'Made in EU' or EU flags without permission.

Products of Animal Origin

Products of Animal Origin which are sourced in the UK will no longer be able to use the 'EC' reference code within the Product of Animal Origin oval, instead requiring 'UK' 'GB' or 'United Kingdom'.

CE Markings & Chemical Labels

Products sold on the UK market may no longer be able to use the European Union CE symbol. Hazard warning symbols will also need to be changed to new UK versions. Guidance is due to be published in the coming months.


Stay up to date with Brexit labelling news

Brexit Related Label Updates

With the UK's Withdrawal Agreement passed through Parliament, the UK is now in a transition 'implementation period' until the end of 2020. During this time, business operations will typically continue as they had done while the UK was an EU member state. The following content is written from the perspective of expected changes that will be required, likely from the start of 2021, and/or in the case of no free trade agreement being agreed.


Further guidance and confirmation is expected in the coming months as the UK negotiates trade agreements a future relationship with the EU, and finalises laws and requirements.

Cover-up opaque Labels

Due to changes in labelling requirements, you may need to or want to update existing labels or packaging. Cover-up opaque labels are a great solution, as they feature an additional layer in the material to stop print underneath showing through. This material can be printed onto with a range of print processes.

Made in UK Stickers

Products made in the UK should no longer have their product origin as 'Made in the European Union' or use the EU flag without specific permission. As such, new or updated labels will be required to list the United Kingdom as the country of origin, both for products sold in the UK and the EU.

Distribution Address Labels

A range of products that are sold in the European Union will need to have an EU Distributor address listed on the product or on the product packaging, particularly for products such as food. Similarly, various products sold on the UK market will need a UK address to be listed.

Brexit Chemical Labelling

Chemical labelling symbols will change after Brexit as the UK transitions to its own system. General requirements are not expected to change significantly, as the UK will adopt the United Nations Globally Harmonised System (UN GHS), and UK law will be based on existing EU law to provide continuity.

Additional Resources

​Content published by Crown Labels in relation to Brexit and The United Kingdom's departure from the European Union is a broad overview and should not be considered specific guidance for your organisation, or legal advice. We recommend conducting your own specific research into how changes in the law may impact your labelling requirements, both in the United Kingdom and European Union, and seeking independent guidance/legal advice.


Crown Labels Mfg Co Ltd © 2020

High quality self adhesive labels and stickers, manufactured in Yorkshire since 1989.

Unit 5 Ignite, Magna Way, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, S60 1FD

E:  T: 01709 363 888 

Registered in England No 4034199